First 226 Members
Akron, OH AA Group
Click here to see an MS Word version of the list
Contributed by Tommy H. from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. The list actually contains only 217 names that are readable. There is also one name completely blacked out, one name which was placed so close to the bottom of page two that it has now become unreadable, and a place on page three (between Duke Paddock and Geo. Panchick) where there is a handwritten note saying "7 member" with an arrow pointing to the left, off the page.
The list contains the names of numerous people who first got sober in Akron, but then helped start A.A. groups elsewhere: Earl Treat (Chicago), Archie Trowbridge (Detroit), J. D. Holmes (first A.A. group in Indiana), and so on. Bill Wilson's name is also on the list -- he was not counted as being "an A.A. member" until he had joined up with Dr. Bob in Akron in the summer of 1935 to form the first true A.A. group. From the Akron perspective, Bill W. then went to New York (in the same way that Earl Treat went to Chicago, Archie Trowbridge went to Detroit, and so) and formed a subsidiary A.A. group there, modeled on the Akron pattern.
The list was put together sometime during the 1940's (or at least before Dr. Bob's death at the end of 1950 and J. D. Holmes's return from Evansville to Akron in 1951). A careful study of the addresses given for various people can probably provide a closer dating.
There are three people who are designated as the Founders of Alcoholics Anonymous: Bill W., Dr. Bob, and Clarence Snyder. At the time the document was written, New York, Akron, and Cleveland were "the big three," with the Cleveland A.A. group being the biggest during part of the 1940's, so the author of this list seems to have wanted A.A. to be governed by a sort of troika, instead of having everything run out of New York (which had a much smaller A.A. group than either Akron or Cleveland).
The list has been retyped by Tommy H. in order to post it on the web. The handwritten notes on the document have been put in blue. A "ck" means a little check mark.
Tommy has a photocopy of the original, but has not seen the original itself. The original was four pages long, on 8-1/2 by 11 inch paper, typed with a mechanical typewriter on a mimeograph stencil, so that multiple copies could be run off on a mimeograph machine. The typewriter font was a sans serif monospace font, very similar to the modern Lucida Sans typewriter-style computer font.
return to A.A. historical materials Part 1
return to Hindsfoot Foundation home page